*The Pointless Writer*

has a life you're completely uninterested in. But it's okay because I can write. No abbreviations. No shoddy grammar (though I'm not immune to mistakes). Just quality writing on sometimes completely pointless topics.

Inspiration/ Hilarity

`cirque. (by Nick)
The Joel Stein
Hyperbole and a Half (by Allie Brosh)

Pointless Yakking

No chatbox.


UnPoints of Note

1. I write when fancy takes. Sometimes, fancy takes many months of leave.
2. Never give up on this blog. I will eventually come back. When fancy has returned from its unfaithful travels.
3. All posts labelled Randomosity were written while I was on my junior college's blog team.
4. Everything is written as a challenge to myself. And it's all in good fun. Cheerio!


Bloodsuckers and Furry Things
Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I caught most of Interview With The Vampire on cable TV the other day. And enjoyed it.

Now, I’m not one of those vampire fan girls you find in bookstores and cinemas nowadays, which is exactly why I enjoyed Interview With a Vampire. It’s a good old-fashioned vampire show where vampires are bloodsuckers and not objects of desire. The show explores religion and morality, among other themes, in the context of a vampire’s life. It’s dark, and it’s fascinating. None of that glittering in sunlight with painted abs that Robert Pattinson does in Twilight. (I’m disgusted that his six-pack is made of make-up.) I’m not saying Twilight is a bad book, so please, if you enjoy it, don’t throw any rotten tomatoes at me.

I liked Interview With The Vampire because it follows the more traditional sense of what a vampire is, yet it isn’t the orthodox horror movie. I also like that they don’t turn into bats. That just doesn’t do it for me. I love the fact that they have a young girl turned into a vampire. It makes you ponder evil. She’s a kid. When she first kills for blood, you wonder if it’s because she’s inherently evil, or because, like every other kid, she’s just satisfying her desires and needs. Then there’s the star of the show—the vampire being interviewed (played by Brad Pitt, whom my mum claims is a beautiful man. I don’t know why, but I never really liked his features). When he’s first turned, he refuses to drink from humans, but as time passes by, he stops fighting his desire for human blood. Does that make him evil?

I guess the overriding factor that won Interview With The Vampire my favour is the fact that it doesn’t romanticize the immortal bloodsuckers. Honestly, any vampire show without the whole vampires-aren’t-evil-they’re-sexy spiel will make me happy, unless it’s a lousy movie with a low budget, of course. The whole concept of drinking blood is dark. How can you take it away and turn vampires into regular people who just happen to be stronger, live longer and… oh, steal from blood banks instead of kill people? Blood represents life, which is why drinking blood is a sin according to at least Judaism. I just don’t see how a bloodsucker can star in a fluffy romance.

Of course, you’re perfectly entitled to view vampires as fluffy, sexy extensions of the human race. I myself like werewolves. The fluffy, non-deformed type. In fact, I only watched Twilight for the shape shifters. Evidently, I’m a Jacob fan. Which is why I can’t stand the fact that the bloodsucker gets the girl. Uh, anyway. I love werewolves because, well, I love wolves. They’re beautiful, intelligent, and they hunt as a pack. What’s not to love? Vampire bats on the other hand, the closest natural creatures to vampires, are small, wrinkly and can’t see very well. Totally. Romantic. (Hear the sarcasm.) Since I love wolves and would love to experience hunting on four legs, of course I would love the modern romanticized werewolf. That’s not to say I’m unaware of the traditional werewolf, the one that has no control, is deformed, and as evil as the traditional vampire. I just choose to ignore that version.

But anyway, go check out Interview With The Vampire. The intrigue, suspense, and dark themes are totally worth your time.

Labels: ,


Chanson des Étoiles at 9:56 PM